In the early history of the province, lumber production was an important industry in Nova Scotia. On the LaHave River near present-day Riverport in Lunenburg County, a lumber and export business was built by Nicolas Denys in production of oak and elm planks, beams, and rafters to provide return cargoes for ships bound for France.
Toward the end of the 17th century, the Acadians operated water-powered sawmills in the Amherst, Minas Basin, and Port Royal (on the Allain River) areas.
History of Logging in Nova Scotia
those days water-powered mills were essential to both the lumber and grain
By 1871 there were
reportedly 1,144 sawmills at work in Nova Scotia of which 1,126 were water-powered.
The Meteghan River, the longest of the Clare rivers, runs between its
headwaters near Weymouth and its confluence in the town of Meteghan River.
In that era up to ten mills operated on the river below Eel Lake alone.
|Current View of the Bangor Mill|